An RV oven is a great addition to your RV. It gives you the ability to cook in an enclosed space and solves the problem of not being able to use your stovetop because of fumes or fire hazards. But how do you light it? Read on for some tips!
How do RV Ovens Work?
RV ovens work just as the ones in your home do. They have a heating element that is activated by turning on the stove or range knob, and they have a thermostat to control their temperature. The difference is how they are powered. In your home, you have the main power supply that has been wired to connect with the oven. In an RV however, there is no wire going from the battery back to the stove or range knob. Instead, they are powered by inverters that convert DC voltage into AC current for use in any appliances within close proximity of them.
There are several types of inverters that are commonly used in RVs. The most common type is the modified sine wave, which produces a voltage similar to household current with some minor deviations from its ideal shape.
A more expensive option for powering an RV oven or any other appliance requiring high wattage would be using a pure sine wave power inverter. They cost significantly more than their source of energy but can deliver clean voltage even when pushed beyond their rated capacity.
Power source aside, the most common problems that arise with RV ovens are linked to their thermostat. When using an inverter powered stove or range knob, it is important to make sure your thermostat isn’t set too high for extended periods of time.
RV ovens can be very difficult to light and keep lit, especially when you’re in a hurry.
Do I Need Special Tools?
Two possible exceptions to this rule are the oven knobs and orifices. Since they will be attached directly to your propane tank, it is important that you only use ones specifically designed for cooking appliances such as an RV stove.
You may find some of these parts at a local hardware store but if not there are several online companies where you can purchase them from. The two most common places would be Amazon and eBay because both have extensive product listings which make finding what you need very easy.
How to Light an RV Oven?
There are a few steps to follow in order to light an RV oven.
First, you will need to get the right oven for your RV. If it is a gas oven then all that needs to be done is twist open the fuel line and pressurize with propane before lighting. Turn on both burners and light one side until lit, then move around evenly between them.
If it’s an electric oven in your RV then there are several additional steps:
- Remove the faceplate by removing screws holding in place
- Check the wiring in door switch connector (don’t use metal when working inside)
- Make sure wires connected to element terminals have no corrosion or burnt ends
- After making any needed repairs turn off power at the breaker panel and check the continuity of wire leads coming out of heating elements to make sure they are not open
- Set timer to make sure it is within heating element specifications (check the label on oven)
- Check door switch continuity and replace if needed
Once all prerequisites have been met you can light the oven. Make sure both burners are lit before turning the oven on fully as it could blow a circuit breaker or cause damage to your RV wiring system. If these steps do not work then contact an electrician for help with lighting your appliance.
- Turn both burners on and light one side of the oven, then move between them to evenly distribute flame.
- Make sure wiring in the door switch connector is not burnt or corroded before turning the power off at the breaker panel.
- Check continuity of heating element wires with a multimeter to make sure they are not open; if needed replace the parts that need replacing. Then turn back on the power and set a timer for your desired baking time (check the label inside the oven).
The process of how to light an RV stove/oven isn’t too complicated, but being prepared will come in handy when those unexpected issues arise!
How do you light an old RV oven?
Turn on your RV’s propane tank. Open the oven door and remove any trivets or pans from inside the oven cavity, using oven mitts.
Find the pilot control knob, which is often behind or near the oven door on the front of your RV stove insert. Turn it to “pilot” and wait a few minutes for the propane flame to heat up.
Find the oven control knob, which is often on the front of your oven cavity. Turn it to “light” and wait for a small blue flame, which indicates that the pilot is lit, to appear.
Wait for the pilot light to die out before opening your oven again, using oven mitts. This could take 60 seconds or more.
Turn off the oven control knob when you’re finished baking and turn on your propane tank to its “off” setting. Close the oven door before turning off the propane tank.
- Be sure to turn the propane off after use! If you can’t reach it, ask for help.
- Never leave your stove unattended while cooking or burning because if there is no pressure in the line then that means all of the gas has leaked out and possible hazardous situations could occur.
- Have a fire extinguisher nearby just in case an emergency occurs.
- Also, never store fuel containers inside your RV because they are highly combustible and could explode.
- If you want to light the oven, make sure it is turned off and don’t try lighting a gas stove while water or any other liquid is on it because there might be an issue with your lighter and not ignite properly.
- Be sure that all of the burners are fully open before attempting to light it as well! Ensure that they aren’t blocked by food particles either; this can cause leaks in different areas if done incorrectly.
- You also need access to adequate ventilation like fans for example so the fumes do not build up inside of your RV which may cause harm as well such as carbon monoxide poisoning (exposure).
- Before you attempt to light your oven, make sure that it matches the outside temperature because if there is a difference in temperature then this could cause issues with lighting as well.
- Never use a match to light your oven because you could get burned. Instead, use a lighter or some type of flameless ignition that will not cause any issues like this.
- If there is no spark then the igniter did not work and this means that it needs new parts so call for help immediately!
- If you have a gas oven, never light it with the door open or even cracked because this can cause carbon monoxide poisoning as well.
- You can also try using another flame source such as a lighter, butane torch or long barbecue tongs if necessary. If none of these is available, let someone know right away so they can come over ASAP with what you need.
How do I light the pilot on my RV oven?
Press the “pilot” button. This should turn on your pilot light; if not, check your owner’s manual for troubleshooting instructions.
How do you start a propane oven in a camper?
Make sure that your oven is hooked up to propane, then press the “ignition” button. This may require you to hold down the button for some time; consult your owner’s manual for further instructions.
How do you light a stove with a lighter?
If your stove is electric, consult the owner’s manual for instructions on how to use an electric lighter. If you have a gas-powered or propane stove, you can light it by using a lighter or matches.
Useful Video: How to use RV oven / How to use RV stove
Now you know how to light an RV oven. When you are ready to get cooking, make sure you have everything plugged in correctly. If the power goes out while your oven is on, check for blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers before turning it back on. And always use caution when dealing with electrical appliances!
We hope that you found this information helpful and don’t forget to check out our other blog posts for more great tips and tricks!
Thank you for reading this blog post about how to light an RV oven.