If you’re traveling in an RV and looking for a place to spend the night, you may be wondering which stores allow overnight RV parking. We know it’s not easy finding a spot that covers all your needs, but we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll discuss some options for parking. We’ll also provide some tips on how to find a good spot and stay safe while you’re parked. So read on for all the information you need on What Stores Allow Overnight RV Parking!
Table of Contents
Can You Park at a Store Overnight?
The short answer is yes, in many instances, you can leave your RV parked at a store for the night. However, there are a few things to bear in mind before you do so. First and foremost, always check with the store manager to get their permission first. Secondly, be mindful of other customers and try not to block any entrances or exits. Finally, remember to clean up any messes you make and put things back where you found them.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s take a look at the best stores for overnight parking.
Another great option is Cracker Barrel. They also have locations all across the country and are usually pretty RV-friendly. One thing to bear in mind, however, is that their parking lot can fill up quickly, so you may want to get there early.
If you’re looking for a more unique overnight parking experience, then Bass Pro Shops is definitely worth considering. Not only do they have some of the best prices on RV supplies, but they also have large parking lots that can accommodate RVs of all sizes. Plus, they tend to be very friendly towards RVers and are usually more than happy to let you park overnight.
Finally, if you’re just looking for a safe and convenient place to park the RV overnight, then a truck stop is always a good option. Just be sure to buy something from the store so they don’t mind you taking up space in their parking lot. 
Local Laws on Overnight Parking
Depending on where you live, there may be restrictions on where you can park your RV overnight.
There are various methods to find out about local parking regulations. You can check with your city or county clerk’s office, or do a search online.
Once you know the local laws, you can start planning your trip. Here are a few of the best options:
- Walmart Parking Lots: Many Walmart stores allow overnight RV parking.
- Campgrounds: Some of the best campgrounds for RVers are KOA campgrounds.
- Rest Areas: At rest areas along major roads, most states allow RVs to stay for the night. However, there may be some restrictions, so it’s important to check with the state Department of Transportation.
What Stores Allow Overnight RV Parking?
RVing can be a great way to see the country and travel on a budget. Some campgrounds charge exorbitant fees, while others are crowded and noisy.
Many stores allow this kind of parking, and some even offer amenities like power and water hookups. In this guide, we’ll show you some of the best options for store camping around the country.
Just remember: always check with the store manager before setting up camp for the night. And please be considerate of other customers by not blocking entrances or taking up too much space in the parking lot. Now let’s get started!
Here are some of the best store camping options around the country:
- Walmart: The world’s largest retailer is also one of the most RV-friendly, with more than 2500 locations allowing overnight parking. Just be sure to check with the manager first, and avoid parking in spots reserved for customers.
- Sam’s Club: This membership-only retailer is owned by Walmart, and many locations offer overnight parking. Call ahead to be sure, as some clubs do not allow it.
- Costco: In order to take advantage of this benefit, you must become a member.
- Home Depot: The home improvement giant is happy to have RVs overnight at many of its stores. Just be sure to park away from the building and not in a spot reserved for customers.
- Cabela’s: An outdoor retailer is a great option for RVers, with many locations offering overnight parking.
- Bass Pro Shops: Like Cabela’s, this outdoor retailer welcomes RVs overnight at many of its locations. You’ll find plenty of space to park, and some stores even offer hookups.
- Cracker Barrel: This chain of family-friendly restaurants offers overnight parking at most of its locations. Just pull into an available spot and enjoy a good night’s sleep in the parking lot.
- Anytime Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness, and Planet Fitness: These popular gyms offer overnight parking. You’ll need to be a member to take advantage of this perk, but it’s a great way to get a good night’s sleep and a workout in one stop.
- Sports Stores: Dick’s Sporting Goods, Academy Sports + Outdoors, and Modell’s Sporting Goods are just a few of the sporting goods stores that offer RV parking at many of their locations.
- Truck Stops: You’ll find plenty of space to park, and some even offer hookups for water and electricity.
- Casinos: Many casinos offer RV parks with full hookups, making them a great option for overnight stays. Just be sure to avoid the temptation to gamble away your winnings!
- Discount Warehouses: BJ’s Wholesale Club, Costco, and Sam’s Club all welcome RVs overnight. In order to take advantage of this benefit, you must be a member. 
Things to Consider Before Parking Your RV at a Store Overnight
When you’re on the road, there are going to be times when you need to stop for the night. And sometimes, finding a campground or RV park isn’t always possible or convenient.
However, before you just pull into the nearest Walmart parking lot, there are a few things you need to consider. Here are a few tips for finding the best store to park:
- Check the store’s policy: Overnight RV parking may not be allowed at all stores, so remember to check with the store in advance. Some stores that do allow it may have specific guidelines, such as not being able to park in certain areas of the parking lot or only being allowed to stay for a certain amount of time.
- Consider the location: When you’re looking for a store to park your RV, you’ll want to consider the location. If you’re going to be parked near a busy street, it can be noisy and there may not be much privacy. On the other hand, if you’re going to be parked in an isolated area, it may not feel as safe.
- Look for security: When you’re choosing a store to park your RV overnight, you’ll want to look for one that has good security. This means there should be security cameras and/or guards on duty. This will help deter any would-be thieves and give you peace of mind while you’re sleeping.
- Choose a store with amenities: If you’re going to be parked at a store overnight, you’ll want to choose one that has some amenities nearby. This could be things like restaurants, gas stations, or even just a place to take a walk. Having these things nearby will make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable. 
Where Else Can You Park Overnight for Free?
The next best option is at a truck stop. Most truck stops also have amenities like showers and laundry facilities, which can be very helpful on a long road trip. However, it’s important to check with the truck stop before you park to make sure that they allow RVs overnight. Some truck stops only allow RVs during daylight hours.
Another alternative is at a Walmart lot. Walmart stores across the country allow RVs to park overnight in their lots. This can be a great option because Walmart stores are typically located near other amenities like restaurants and gas stations.
How to Find Free Overnight Parking Spaces Near You
There are a few options available to you. You can check out local camping sites or look for special parking areas set up near businesses that allow RVs. There are also a number of national and state parks that offer overnight camping for a fee.
Another option is to find a store that allows overnight RV parking. This can be a great option if you need to be close to civilization for any reason, such as getting groceries or using the restroom facilities. Many stores will allow RVs to park in their lot overnight as long as they don’t block any entrances or exits.
Can You Sleep in an RV Anywhere?
The straightforward response to this question is no, you cannot sleep in your RV anywhere.
One option is Walmart. Its locations across the country offer designated spots for RVs to park overnight. This can be a great option if you need a place to stop for the night and don’t want to deal with finding a campground. Just make sure to check with the store ahead of time to see if they allow RV parking and what their policy is. 
Another option for store camping is Cracker Barrel.
Can you sleep in a Costco parking lot?
Yes, you can sleep in a Costco parking lot! In fact, many people do this on a regular basis. Just be sure to check the individual store’s policy before setting up camp for the night. 
Some other popular stores with this service are Sam’s Club, Walmart, and Cracker Barrel. Many truck stops also allow RVs to park for the night.
Of course, you always have the option of camping at an actual campground. However, this can be quite expensive and may not be necessary if you’re just looking for a place to sleep for one night.
Can you spend the night in a Walmart parking lot?
Yes, you can spend the night in a Walmart parking lot. However, there are a few things to bear in mind. First, you should check with the store manager to see if it is okay to park overnight. Second, be aware of the surroundings and ensure you are not blocking any fire exits or entrances. Finally, you should be respectful of other shoppers and not make too much noise. 
Other stores include Cracker Barrel, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, and Costco. Most of these stores have similar guidelines to Walmart.
Can I park overnight at Walmart near me?
You can park your RV overnight in most Walmart store parking lots. Although, there are a few things you should remember. First, always check with the store manager before setting up camp for the night. Second, be considerate of other shoppers and park as far away from the store entrance as possible. Finally, make sure you clean up any trash or debris you may have left behind before leaving in the morning.
While Walmart is one of the most popular options for overnight parking, there are plenty of other stores that allow it as well. Target, Lowe’s, Home Depot, and Cracker Barrel are just a few of the other retailers that welcome RVs in their parking overnight. So, don’t hesitate to check out one of these stores.
Where can I plug in my RV for free near me?
If you’re looking for a free place to park, there are a few options available to you. Many Walmarts across the country allow RVs to park in their lot overnight. Anyway, these options are not always convenient or comfortable, so it’s important to know what other stores allow this service before you hit the road.
Here is a list of some of the best stores that allow this service:
- Costco: Costco locations across the country typically have large parking lots that can accommodate RVs. Some even have hookups for water and electricity.
- BJ’s Wholesale Club: Like Costco, BJ’s Wholesale Club locations have large parking lots that can usually accommodate RVs. However, unlike Costco, BJ’s does not typically have hookups for water and electricity.
- Sam’s Club: Sam’s Club is another wholesale club with large parking lots that can typically accommodate RVs. As with BJ’s, however, Sam’s Club does not typically have hookups for water and electricity.
- Home Depot: Home Depot stores are often located near residential areas, making them a good option for overnight parking. They also have large parking lots and sometimes even offer hookups for water and electricity. Just be sure to check with the store manager before you stay the night.
Is it illegal to park your RV in a store parking lot overnight?
Most of the time, no. However, it’s always best to check with the store manager before parking your RV in their lot for the night. Some stores may have a policy against overnight RV parking, or they may only allow it during certain hours.
If you plan on spending the night in a store parking, there are a few things to bear in mind:
- Make sure you’re not blocking any entrances or exits.
- Park as close to the edge of the lot as possible so other cars can still park nearby.
- If there’s a 24-hour store nearby, try to park near it so you’ll have easy access to restrooms and other amenities.
How safe are store parking lots at night?
The vast majority of store parking lots are safe. There are always going to be exceptions to the rule, but for the most part, you’ll be just fine. If you’re nervous about parking in a lot, try to find one that has security cameras and/or is well-lit. 
Another option is to park at a truck stop. These are designed for big rigs and they usually have 24-hour security guards patrolling the premises. If you’re not comfortable parking at a store, a truck stop is definitely the way to go.
Just remember to obey all posted signs and regulations. Don’t block fire lanes or handicap spots, and make sure you’re not parked too close to the building itself. Overnight parking is usually allowed in most store parkings, but it’s always best to check with the manager before you stay.
Useful Video: How To Find FREE & Unconventional Overnight RV Parking PLUS Our Favorite Picks!
With that said, there are still plenty of stores allowing overnight RV parking! In fact, many of them are quite welcoming to weary travelers. The next time you’re on the road and need a place to crash for the night, be sure to check out one of these options:
- Cracker Barrel
- Home Depot
- Bass Pro Shops
- Sams Club
With a little bit of planning ahead, you can easily find a safe and convenient place to park the RV for the night. Just remember to always follow the store’s posted rules and regulations. Happy travels!